Wednesday 12 June 2013

Awesome Foundation Birthday

Awesome Ottawa was having their third birthday and they were looking for someone to make some cake so I volunteered.

The Lego cake I envisioned was more like what would happen if Martha Stewart walked into my kitchen and took over, but the result was pretty good, for an amateur!
So, Martha can keep her skills - I have plenty!

I used Satin Ice fondant and it worked really well! Also, very delicious! (I got a few compliments about the fondant at the party) 
I learned from my past experience with using fondant for my wedding cake, that my counter needed to be generously coated with icing sugar! 
I bought a container of white fondant, and a container of pink fondant, and dyed some of the white fondant blue. 
Once all the cakes were leveled and covered in fondant, I cut pieces out of a smaller cake, to use as the top pieces of the Lego. I coated them, along with the rest of the cake, in butter cream icing, then fondant.
Yum.

It was actually a lot of fun to make! (Besides the first cake layer that had too much butter cream icing and cracked fondant. Eek!)
But yes, I would totally do it again!


 (the cake all ready to be enjoyed)

It should be noted that I don't normally do this, but it was just a fun way to try something new and promote myself at an event :)

No comments:

Post a Comment